Wednesday 4 September 2013

Hot 30 over 30 entrepreneurs -there are more than you think

There's often talk about hot & hungry young entrepreneurs -those types of list are everywhere -with good reason. I think they are talked (and often hyped) about because they are the exception, rather than the rule.

I suggest that there is a hotter, less spoken about group of entrepreneurs who are in fact the larger group of change agents actually driving entrepreneurship in startups - the 'over 30' set.

I should know; not only have I met hundreds of them in my last 2 1/2 years of pacing the startup hallways, but I'm also one of them. 

The ability to 'do' a startup in your 20's is made more possible often by the lack of entanglements - its much more difficult to take the plunge & follow your dream into StartUpLand when you have obligations that must be met; like a mortgage, kids school fees, car payments and other 'necessities'. 

Often the requirement for a steady pay-check to meet those daily bills is a set of 'golden-handcuffs' that keep would-be visionaries tied to their desks, a title or benefits, their careers and their current trajectory. 

In many cases, this group of aspiring entrepreneurs is tied through family requirements, expectations, or 'what would my wife/mother/ colleagues/ etc think of me if I chased my dream?'.

And yet, there are many who are doing just that. Some have thrown caution to the wind (like I) despite their circumstances, others have transitioned slowly into the space, and yet others have made that leap after a successful corporate career. Just like Troy Westley has.

One qualification here is that I am talking about startups that are actively engaged in driving their idea. Which means that I must, by definition, exclude the many people that attend startup groups & meetings as a 'wantapreneur'; those peolle that may have a great idea, but lack the drive or catalytic event required to actually make a start. 

In a more mature entrepreneur, that catalytic event could be a layoff, a life-event, an awakening moment or even just a gradual awareness of the 'ticking clock of life', and that the time is now

So if you know of a startup guy (or girl) who qualifies as a "hot 30 over 30", let me know - their story also deserves to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment