Sunday 16 June 2013

Are you REALLY ready yet to do what it takes?

A 'new' mentor (whom I met 30 years ago), described my biggest startup problem directly. "Are you REALLY ready yet to do what it takes?

I sat down recently with Neville Christie, to gain some clarity & perspective about my journey. 

What he discussed with me was perhaps the most difficult and painful conversation I've had in a long time (excluding those with my lawyers).

After listening to me for 15 minutes, what he summed up was devastating. I was exactly where I was now, because I had chosen to be. That's right, in simple terms, all my challenges, and also my opportunities were as a result of my decisions. 

At that moment I realised something profound. No longer was it the fault of the economy, the government, my choice of co-founder, competition, funding, the team, the backers who didnt 'get' it. No of them. 

I was where I was because of the decisions & subsequent actions (or lack of) by just one person. "Great", I though, "now I've got some-one to blame".

And then the kicker; "That person is you." 

"What? No! That can't be right. What about - insert reasons A,B & C here- and -also insert factors 1,2 &3 here?"

"Wrong question" was the reply.

What he told me next was perhaps the most profound thing I had ever heard.

"The only reason you aren't yet wherevyou want to be, is that you haven't employed every resource at your disposal."

So profound was that statement, that I was blown way by the simplicity of it. "Surely, that could be it? I can't possibly be that simple?"

I thought for a second about countering. Surely I had operated (most of the time) at my peak capacity, turned over every stone, chased down every lead? Whilst that was true, when I thought it through, there is a major difference between doing "everything you know", and "whatever it takes".

Do you know the difference?
Can you identify every resource available to you?
Are you prepared to bring them all into play, without hesitation or reservation?

No comments:

Post a Comment