Tuesday 16 July 2013

A new form of Social Media spamming?

Have you noticed the new form of social media spamming popping up recently?

Its where a company/brand/SMwhore etc follows you, (with the expectation that you might follow them back) and then within 24 hours, unfollows you. 

I'll use the case in point of @pocketgems, (for no other reason than recency) a game creator in the social space, of whom I received a typical 'following' notification. I have never played, nor even viewed, their game, so I was curious to see if they held sway with any of my topics of interest. As at today, they had a grand total of 107.7k followers, 8 follows, and 45 (self-promotional) tweets. Does something strike you, as it did me, as being a bit out of kilter with those numbers?

BTW, they didn't hold any interest, so like many others, I didn't follow them back.

Clearly this is an automated process, and  the onus is on the followed to determine whether they are interested in the contents or topics of posts, before following back.

I get that this is a method of outreach, but what interests me is in the 'blowback' or brand reputation damage that organisations using this approach could be doing to their brand. 

For instance, if an automated process follows & then unfollows 100k people, which then captures, say 10% (a purely hypothetical number) as an interest group, what message do I send to both groups?

For example, in group a), those in the 90% that got spammed & chose not to follow, and b) those in the 10% that followed, that then got automatically unfollowed.

In the case of A) is the company risking labelling themselves as a SM spammer?
And in the B) scenario, what 'loyalty' or 'care' messages do they send to their followers by immediately unfollowing them?

What other brand or online reputation risks are companies such as these choosing to accept by such an approach, and do you as a SM consumer, even care?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment